Thursday, December 4, 2008

Comfort me

Cohen has developed this bad habit. When he gets really mad he SCREAMS really loud and starts repeatedly wacking his head on whatever is closest. The wall, the tile floor, me.... I have been just ignoring it and walking away, thinking he will stop, but he seems do to it whether I am watching it or not. The poor kid (with a huge forehead anyway) is having all sorts of bumps and bruises. It looks like I am beating him across the forehead. Any ideas anyone? Maybe soon I will just start beating him for real. :) (not really for those of you who don't know me... and those that do)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Um...have you seen the perma bruise on Jakers head?? He did it less the more he was able to communicate his needs. I totally feel your pain. There were times I thought he was going to seriously hurt himself. And he would do it whether I was watching or not. Ignoring him did nothing (typically anyways), so I tried not to let him do it. He still does it occassionally when he gets really mad. I am sure he will outgrow it though. In the mean time invest in bubble wrap. haaahahaha. Kidding.

Niels and Kayla said...

hahaha sorry that is kinda funny that he does that, you would think it would hurt and he would stop..i dont have any advice, but i think eventually he will grow out of it, hang in there, i will pray for ya!

The Foisy's said...

I'm just laughing cause Aves screams when I take stuff from her too, then she tries to bite me! My pediatrician said to start teaching her time out. So what I do, is the three strikes your out. If she does it three times after I told her no, I take her in my lap, hold her arms down and I tell her. You're in time out. I hold her down for a minute because she's one. She throws a fit but I'm trying to introduce her it. Maybe try that. Holding him down in your lap will stop him from hitting himself.

Crystal said...

He actually only did it once today. That is a huge improvement. Thanks guys!

Anonymous said...

My Coen did the same sort of thing at about that age... Honestly we would just let him throw the tantrum... make sure he didn't get TOO hurt, but other than that we'd let him go... and then if/when he got hurt we'd explain (as if explaining anything to that age makes it past their ears!?!?!) that his fit had caused the pain and that the fits were naughty... eventually they just stopped happening... and i don't think he has any dents... haha