Monday, May 4, 2009

I think I just have too much time to sit around and think about useless things. I know this is my 3rd pregnancy so I should have something to compare to but neither of my last pregnancies count.. When I was pregnant with Cohen I only gained 4 lbs the whole time and that was a bad thing in that case. With Caeli my body was completely different but I still didn't gain hardly any weight when I was pregnant with her. So I am having major depression over all of the weight that I have gained with this baby. I am still not quite 30 weeks and I have gained a lot of weight. So I am wondering.... what's amount is actually normal to gain? I am just curious what normal healthy people do when they are pregnant.

8 comments:

Sperry Family said...

I'm a little embarrassed to say I gained 40lbs with each of my kids!

Jaimee said...

"What to Expect when Your Expecting" says that a normal person should gain 25-35 pounds. But it seems like a good amount of people I know gain at least 40 pounds. It seems like I don't gain much the first trimester, but in the second I gain most of my weight all of a sudden. I wouldn't stress. I'm sure it's normal to gain more weight when your on bedrest, too. I think every pregnant woman feels depressed about their weight. I can't believe you only gained 4 lbs with Cohen!

Crystal said...

I only weigh a few more lbs right now than I did when I had Cohen but because I started out so much less it just has me all depressed. Cam is sick of hearing me :) Yeah, I had Cohen a little soon after surgery. I was still losing weight when I got pregnant....

Michelle said...

I gained 60+ with Jacob and 30 with Lizzie. That was depressing. lol. 20-25 is normal. If it makes you feel better not all of it is fat. I sat in on one of Mikes classes when I was preggers with Jacob and they gave the breakdown of weight gain in pregnancy. It went something like this.

Baby: 7-8 lbs
Placenta: 1-2 lbs
Amniotic fluid: 2 lbs
Uterus: 2 lbs
Maternal breast tissue: 2 lbs
Maternal blood : 4 lbs
Fluids in maternal tissue: 4 lbs
Maternal fat and nutrient stores: 7 lbs

So as you can see, over half of that is fluids and baby. 4 lbs just from increased blood volume!! Which is why doctors WANT you to gain at least 20 lbs when pregnant. So if your under the 20 lb gain, most likely none of it is fat. Hope that makes you feel better. :)

tearese said...

I gained about 35 with both, which I think is the perfect amount for my height and body structure. Its true that most books say 25-35 is right, but that should be less if you are overweight, more if you are anorexic, and obviously different depending on height etc.
I have never cared about my weight gain and always thought it was silly when the nurses apologize for having to weigh me. Really, you're pregnant, you're supposed to gain weight!!!
My sister gained 16lbs with her first, and 40 with her second, so you never know.

Anonymous said...

ok... i'm going to throw myself under the bus... a few other women on here have as well... i started my pregnancy at about 140... i'm 5'8"... not a bad weight to be at... well... with 6 weeks left in the pregnancy, i saw the scale bound over the 200 mark.. i closed my eyes and forbid anyone from telling me how much i gained at any further appts... i honestly don't have a CLUE how much i gained... but i do know it was over 65 pounds... luckily most of that dropped off in the hospital... that boy had a penthouse suite! so much extra room... so don't feel bad! everyone is different. every pregnancy is different...

Talbots said...

It can't be that bad Crystal. We all go through it. It will come off afterwards, easily for you because you will go from bedrest to some activity hopefully. Cheer UP! Think of all us losers at work!

Debbie said...

I gained somewhere around 65 pounds when I was pregnant. And I was completely freaked out about it. It just seemed to layer on despite my best efforts. Most of it came off fairly quickly afterward though.

Honestly, I think it's different for everyone and probably for every pregnancy. Doctors give guidelines but each individual is so different and each pregnancy is so different that it isn't always going to universally apply or be a precise formula. So I wouldn't worry too much!!